The 54 Member Associations of the World Curling Federation (WCF) have approved the WCF’s proposed resolutions for sweeping and brushes in elite curling, at its Annual General Assembly (AGA) in Stockholm, Sweden, today (Saturday 10 September).
Summary of new sweeping and equipment rules approved at AGA 2016:
- Sweeping Rules R7 (a): The sweeping motion can be in any direction (it need not cover the entire width of the stone), deposits no debris in front of a moving stone, and finishes to either side of the stone.
- Uniform / Equipment C3 (e): Each player must declare his or her approved sweeping device at the start of a game, and only that player can use that sweeping device for sweeping during the game.
- Uniform / Equipment C3 (f): A player may not change their brush head during a game, unless the Chief Umpire grants special permission.
- Uniform / Equipment C3 (g): If an alternate player comes into a game, they must use the brush head of the player they are replacing.
- Rule C3(h): All Field of Play equipment used at WCF competitions must meet WCF Equipment Standards as defined and published on the WCF Website. Reasons for equipment being considered non-approved include, but not restricted to: damage to the ice surface, non-conformance with existing rules or standards (i.e. – electronic communication devices), performance testing results that give an unfair advantage, failing to register equipment with the WCF office by the deadline date.
· Rule C3 (i): The penalty for using equipment in WCF competitions which does not conform to standards for Competition Equipment established by the WCF: (i) First team offence during a competition – the player is disqualified from the competition and the team forfeits the game. (ii) Second team offence during a competition – the team is disqualified from the competition and all players are not permitted to play in WCF competitions for a 12-month period.
We stock the new WCF compliant pads for most brushes:
BalancePlus e Lite Oval – replacement for most standard oval brush pads
BalancePlus e Lite Litespeed – replacement for BalancePlus LiteSpeed pads
PerformanceBrush WCF – replacement for most standard oval brush pads
Goldline WCF pad – replacement for Goldline oval brush pads
Hardline MaxiM – replacement for Hardline Icepads